Sunday, April 20, 2008

The Inhumanity of Humans - The Humanity of God

Meet Boudreaux. After his bath. After having a full day's worth of food. After being dumped, unceremoniously by the individual who had starved and abused him by trying to fight him. That's all I can assume at this point, based on the scars and fresh marks on his body. Yes, he is a pit bull, but in spite of these atrocities that have been committed against him, he is still loving and friendly. Unfortunately, due to his breed, I am not allowed to provide a home for him - breed restrictions for apartments, you know. And due to the stigma that is attached to his breed, no one else wants to step up and provide a home for him. This picture is from day one with me...his first night at my home. That was Tuesday. Yesterday, I had to take him to my parent's home, because I had to have him out of mine by that deadline. I have called, e-mailed, pestered friends and family alike and frantically tried to find a "no-kill" shelter, a pit bull rescue site, anyone, someone who would give this sweet boy a safe haven from the awful world he has lived in. The Williamson County Humane Society tried to find space for him, but to no avail. They tested him for heart worms - he had none. They implemented their Behavioral Test - he passed with flying colors - no aggressive behaviors. The medical director, when she brought him out was amazed. "He's free of heart worms, no aggressive behaviors, he's very smart - a fast learner! What a sweet dog!" She tried, but wasn't able to find a spot for him - they were full and already over quota for the number of pit bulls they could have at one time in their shelter. I think it broke both of our hearts.

Through it all, Bou (Boo), wags his tale, smiles, and looks at us all with his beautiful tan eyes. So full of hope, so full of love. Unconditional, in spite of what he has been through. So I will keep searching. This week will be for getting him checked out by my vet, getting his shots, heart worm preventative medicine and neutering. Finding out what we need in order to heal the sores on his body from the fighting, what we need for healing any infection that may be in his body from the untreated marks. See how we can fix his broken tail. Try to heal the external. Learning that our love to him and for him appears to have healed the internal. That in just 4 1/2 days, he had already come to recognize my front door as his home, my face, the sound of my voice - me, as belonging to him. Attached. Loved - loving. Unconditional. Not knowing if I will ever hurt him, starve him...he trusts me. Gentle soul meets gentle soul.

Thankful, I am. I work with other gentle souls. They reach out. Try to help. Try to find a loving home for him. And still we search. I will not give up. I will not allow him to be euthanized simply because of his breed. His behavior has spoken so loudly, I cannot see the stigma of his breed.

How like God he is. Rejected. Hurt. Neglected by the very ones he loves the most. That he would do anything for. And still, he loves, unconditionally. Enormously. Without bias. Without regret. Without regard for the wrongs perpetrated on or against him. What a lesson. We as humans, when we are hurt, lash out. We want to hurt the ones who have hurt us, to cause them the same pain they have caused us. But we, as Christians, true Christians - being Christ-like, should love in spite of the pain, in spite of the hurt, the wrongs. What a simple lesson of God's love and forgiveness, shown by a beautiful part of God's creation. Lesson learned, Bou. Thank you.

Please take time to research your local "no-kill" shelters and rescue sites. Volunteer. Donate, be it monetarily or by donating food for the animals. Please be sure to spay or neuter your pets. Every hour, hundreds of pets are euthanized because either no one wanted them, or they just didn't want to invest the time and energy required, into them. I have always felt that when I take on the responsibility of bringing an animal into my home, into my family - they become a part of it for life. It takes each and every one of us being proactive in this quest in order to make this a better world. For us, for our children, for our pets and the other pets that are currently in the system. We need to step up and be responsible citizens. Report abuse. Care for the needy. Step out of our comfort zones and be the hands for God to work through. I am currently looking into volunteering for one of our shelters and am planning out fundraising ideas and food drives in order to be more pro-active in seeing to this need. Won't you do the same, please?

No comments: