Tuesday, January 29, 2008

In the Midst of the Storm

You feel it...the pressure all around. It permeates the air...you can feel the electricity and dampness surrounding you. A storm is coming. What will it bring? How long will it last? Will I still be standing when it finally passes, you wonder? Can I make it through another storm? The last few have left me so battered and bruised...I don't know it I have the strength to get through another one, you think.

The storms of life come and go, often at the most unexpected moments. And they can last for a split second or for what seems like a lifetime. Be still in the storm. Listen. Not to the thunder that roars at you...not to the rolling waves of rain that come crashing down on you...not to the sound of breaking branches and flooding streams. Listen for the calm, sure voice. "I am here. I am with you in the midst of this storm. I will not leave you. I will see you through this. Do not be afraid."

"But God...don't you see..." as you try to point out all that rages around you. "Hush, child. I created it all...I command it all. This is but a season and then it will be gone. Be strong. Be of good courage. Have faith. Trust me." Trembling, weak and afraid, you reach for His hand and that is when you see that you are walking on the water, in the midst of the storm...and that calm surrounds the place you stand...hand in hand with your creator. Be still...listen to His voice...lean on him...trust that He will see you through this.

"Daddy God, for those who are struggling through their own storms...please help them to find rest in You. Wrap Your strong, safe and secure arms around them and give them peace to face what lies ahead. Let them remember in the darkest hours of their storm, that You walk with them through it all. Encourage them in this journey and let them feel Your Love enfold them. Strengthen them and give them peace. In Jesus' name, Amen."

1 comment:

Jo said...

What a lovely reflection...